Ukrainian soldiers ordered to break out “on their own”

Posted on Fort Russ

2/17/2015
The Ukrainian military is attempting to break through the Debaltsevo Cauldron

Translated from Russian by J.Hawk

Fighting around Debaltsevo escalated during the second half of the day, according to DPR. “The situation has grown more complex. The level of shelling from the outside of the cauldron has increased. UAF moved against Logvinovo to break a corridor into Debaltsevo,” DPR Ministry of Defense representative Eduard Basurin announced on Tuesday.

He added that DPR forces do not respond to provocations but resist enemy offensive actions. According to Basurin, the militia had established contact with the Ukrainian military and are holding the first meeting of the Joint Control and Coordination Center.

Apart from that, the mothers of Ukrainian soldiers surrounded in Debaltsevo say that troops there received orders to abandon their defensive positions and equipment and attempt to exit the encirclement in small groups. They say command and control has been completely lost, which means the soldiers are on their own. This became known to several mothers who established telephone contact with their sons. On February 17th the relatives of the soldiers are holding a spontaneous meeting at the Ministry of Defense in Kiev.

J.Hawk’s Comment: So it’s clear that the Debaltsevo cauldron is crumbling, it’s only a question of how many Ukrainian soldiers will manage to exit it. Some no doubt will, but others will become prisoners–there are reports that some 300 junta troops surrendered in Debaltsevo alone so far. But whatever equipment they brought with them to Debaltsevo is going to fall into the hands of Novorossia’s army.

These were the best units the Ukrainian army had. Let’s not forget the “fourth wave of mobilization” had only just begun, so the forces at Debaltsevo were the remnants of the regular, pre-civil war Ukrainian military or the survivors of the campaigns of 2014. For all the problems with the most recent wave of mobilization, the Kiev junta can count on a trickle of replacements. But the heavy equipment is for all intents and purposes irreplaceable. Once these tanks, BMPs, artillery are gone, they are gone for good, and it would take a long time to bring the Ukrainian military back to the state it was in only two months ago.

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/02/ukrainian-soldiers-ordered-to-break-out.html

DPR leader: Kiev betrayed 5,000 encircled in Debaltsevo

From Sputnik News, February 14, 2015

As Debaltseve is not mentioned in the Minsk agreement and that means that Kiev “simply betrayed” 5,000 Ukrainian armed forces’ soldiers.

DONETSK (Sputnik) – The forces of the Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) willcease fire everywhere except for inner regions of the self-proclaimed republic, any attempts of Kiev soldiers to break out the encirclement at the town of Debaltseve will be stopped, theDPR head said Saturday.“We are ceasing fire everywhere but inner regions of DPR. Any attempt of [Kiev soldiers] to leave the ‘cauldron’ [Debaltseve encirclement] will be stopped. I have already given this order,” Alexander Zakharchenko told reporters.

“There is not a single word about Debaltseve in [Minsk] agreements. That means that Ukraine simply betrayed 5,000 people in the ‘cauldron’,” Zakharchenko said.

Debaltseve, one of Ukraine’s biggest railroad junctions, has become the site of intense fighting between Kiev and southeastern Ukrainian pro-independence fighters.

Earlier in the day, deputy head of the DPR forces Eduard Basurin stated that the republic was not planning to let Kiev soldiers trapped in Debaltseve leave the town until they surrender. According to Basurin, Kiev told soldiers to not surrender, as they would be taken out ofDebaltseve in rotations or usingOSCE help after February 15.Kiev denies claims that its soldiers are encircled in Debaltsevo.

During Thursday’s Minsk talks, the leaders of Kiev and the breakaway republics of Donetsk and Luhansk managed to sign a deal, stipulating a ceasefire from Saturday night, prisoner swaps, weaponry withdrawal and constitutional changes in Ukraine.

Donetsk forces announced readiness to cease fire and allow surrounded Kiev soldiers to leave the Debaltseve area “on respectful conditions.”

An earlier ceasefire agreement reached by the warring sides last September broke down, with clashes intensifying in recent weeks. Debaltseve, one of Ukraine’s biggest railroad junctions, has become the site of intense fighting. According to reports, up to 10,000 Ukrainian troops remain surrounded after attempting to recapture the contested town.

 

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150214/1018270783.html#ixzz3Rj1kQLp6

Kiev orders entire rail system in Debaltsevo to be mined

From Sputnik News, February 8, 2015

The authorities of the Ukrainian armed group gave an order to mine the entire rail infrastructure of Debaltseve, according to deputy head of the self-proclaimed Dontesk People’s Republic’s (DPR) militia Eduard Basurin.

DONETSK, February 8 (Sputnik) – Kiev authorities have ordered their forces to mine the entire rail infrastructure in the eastern Ukrainian town of Debaltseve, deputy head of the self-proclaimed Dontesk People’s Republic’s (DPR) militia Eduard Basurin said Sunday.

“According to information received during the questioning of two surrendered soldiers of the 25th brigade near Chernukhino, the authorities of the Ukrainian group gave an order to mine the entire rail infrastructure of Debaltseve,” Basurin told reporters.

Kiev has decided on this measure to prevent future rail links between the breakaway Donetsk and Luhansk republics after the Ukrainian forces retreat, Basurin explained.

Locomotive and rolling stocks are being mined, the railway junctions at the Debaltseve-Sortirovochnaya station, locomotive depots and control centers, as well as the administrative zone of the Debaltseve station,” Basurin said, adding that municipal pumping and transformer stations have already been mined.

Debaltseve, located on the border between Ukraine’s two breakaway regions, has recently become the scene of heavy fighting between the Ukrainian troops and the local militia. Thousands of Kiev soldiers are reportedly trapped in the town surrounded by the independence supporters.Earlier this week, the warring sides agreed on a temporary ceasefire to evacuate civilians from the contested city. According to later local media reports, shelling in Debaltsevo continues.

Despite the signing of a ceasefire agreement between Kiev and pro-independence militia in September 2014, fighting has continued in Donbas, intensifying in the first weeks of this year. The two warring sides have traded blame for the recent string of shelling attacks in eastern Ukraine.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150208/1017975304.html

Powerful explosions rock Donetsk; DPR commander briefs the press

Posted on Fort Russ, February 9, 2015

Submitted by: Joaquin Flores – uploaded from Kazzura

DPR dept corps commander Eduard Basurin’s morning briefing 09/02/15 — demonstration of the banned munition used against the Donetsk and answers questions regarding the powerful explosions, after the UAF strike at Donetsk last night.

http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/02/video-big-explosion-dpr-commander.html

Donetsk authorities claim NATO ammunition found in Ukraine

From Sputnik News, February 3, 2015

The Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) forces has found ammunition used exclusively in NATO countries that the Ukrainian Army is not usually equipped with, Deputy Donetsk Militia Commander Eduard Basurin said Tuesday.

“These types of ammunition are designed for NATO countries. One of them [devices] is equipped with a base fuse. For instance, when this type of ammunition hits the wall, it blasts and destroys it [wall]. The Ukrainian forces do not have this type of ammunition,” Basurin said, demonstrating the ammunition to journalists.

DPR authorities have repeatedly claimed finding US-made weapons in the Donetsk Airport, previously occupied by the Ukrainian military. On January 19, Basurin said that DPR forces had found large quantities of US-made weapons, including M16-A5 assault rifles, grenades and communication devices. Prior to Basurin’s remarks, DPR leader Alexander Zakharchenko said that US-made weapons had found in the airport.

On January 21, 2015 Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov harshly criticized the deliveries of weapons by a number of NATO members and European Union countries, saying this move went against EU and Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) norms.

On Thursday, Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said that no lethal weapons had been delivered to Kiev by the West, despite an announcement made by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in September that a number of NATO countries had agreed to supply the country with modern weapons. Presidential adviser Yuri Lutsenko later claimed that an agreement on the supply of weapons from the United States, France, Poland, Norway and Italy had been reached at the NATO summit in Wales. However these countries denied the statement.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150203/1017703053.html

http://www.globalresearch.ca/donetsk-authorities-claim-nato-ammunition-found-in-ukraine/5429320