Donetsk authorities claim NATO ammunition found in Ukraine

From Sputnik News, February 3, 2015

The Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) forces has found ammunition used exclusively in NATO countries that the Ukrainian Army is not usually equipped with, Deputy Donetsk Militia Commander Eduard Basurin said Tuesday.

“These types of ammunition are designed for NATO countries. One of them [devices] is equipped with a base fuse. For instance, when this type of ammunition hits the wall, it blasts and destroys it [wall]. The Ukrainian forces do not have this type of ammunition,” Basurin said, demonstrating the ammunition to journalists.

DPR authorities have repeatedly claimed finding US-made weapons in the Donetsk Airport, previously occupied by the Ukrainian military. On January 19, Basurin said that DPR forces had found large quantities of US-made weapons, including M16-A5 assault rifles, grenades and communication devices. Prior to Basurin’s remarks, DPR leader Alexander Zakharchenko said that US-made weapons had found in the airport.

On January 21, 2015 Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov harshly criticized the deliveries of weapons by a number of NATO members and European Union countries, saying this move went against EU and Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) norms.

On Thursday, Ukrainian Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk said that no lethal weapons had been delivered to Kiev by the West, despite an announcement made by Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko in September that a number of NATO countries had agreed to supply the country with modern weapons. Presidential adviser Yuri Lutsenko later claimed that an agreement on the supply of weapons from the United States, France, Poland, Norway and Italy had been reached at the NATO summit in Wales. However these countries denied the statement.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150203/1017703053.html

Donetsk Authorities Claim NATO Ammunition Found in Ukraine

“Ukrainian army is close to annihilation”–Kulikov

“They have created military groupings on Iraqi and Afghan model…”

From Fort Russ,  2/5/2015
Russian General: DPR and LPR will continue its offensive,the Ukrainian army is close to annihilation.
By Viktor Avin
Translated from Russian by J.Hawk

The Ukrainian army is in such a condition that the militia can freely advance until they reach the boundaries of Lugansk and Donetsk regions.

This opinion was expressed by Army General Anatoliy Kulikov, the former Minister of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation, in an interview with the “Spetsialnyy Korrespondent” talk show.

“Ukraine has no prospects for an effective operation, from the perspective of either the political, moral, motivational, or technical point of view. They have created military groupings on Iraqi and Afghan model, namely company tactical teams. But over there it’s desert, while here it’s densely populated territory. So from the military-technical perspective it’s not a very appropriate decision.

Then there’s the question of weapons. The best was given to the territorial defense battalions, while the army stayed with the old weapons.

There is no repair base, no means of communications, loss of control.

Under such conditions DPR and LPR armed forces ought to continue their active offensive operations and reach their administrative borders. Only that will force Ukraine to start negotiating,” assured Kulikov.

J.Hawk’s Comment: Kulikov is entirely correct—DPR and LPR can do as they please, all they have to do is want to go on the offensive. The bulk of the UAF is already on the front line, with all the unpleasantness that it entails. The fact that the Rada had just passed a law that gives line commanders the authority to execute their own soldiers for insubordination is likewise suggestive that the level of discipline within the military is plumbing new depths. So there is a Plan B: if the Munich talks fail to accomplish anything, if Poroshenko continues to side with the party of war, then more war is what he will get. At this point, even large-scale NATO weapons supplies would do almost nothing to influence the conflict, except to antagonize Russia, which is why pretty much all EU member states have officially swore off such supplies. The US could still do it unilaterally, of course, but even the official White House position is against them—they know perfectly well that what Kulik describes above is true. Moreover, as detailed in earlier posts, Ukraine’s economic position is getting worse with every passing day.

Source:
http://fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/02/ukrainian-army-is-close-annihilation.html

 

Who was shelling the city of Mariupol?

Posted on Oriental Review, January 26, 2015
By Vladimir Kozin (Russia)

According to the Ministry of Defense of the Donetsk People’s Republic, the Ukrainian Army has misinterpreted the column of its own 18th Battalion of the 28th Mechanized Brigade moving very close to Mariupol January 24th, 2015 as if it belonged to ‘separatists’ or de jure the DPR freedom fighters, and shelled it from the Stary Krim area (see the map) located on the Western side of Mariupol. Mariupol as a whole as well as Stary Krim are fully controlled by the Ukrainian Army.

So, the Ukranian Army shelled its own military column by using multiple rocket launching system “Grad” and “Uragan”. Their missiles were flying across and above Mariupol. Some of them landed at the 18th Battalion column position, some of them at the residential areas of Mariupol killing more than 60 civilians and wounding more than 100 people. That is why Kiev is fully responsible for these atrocities.

The DPR resistance units are deployed more than as close as 20 km on the East near Shirokino (see the map). They do not have “Grad” or “Uragan” MRLS or heavy artillery in that area. So, de facto the DPR units have not been able to hit Mariupol.

Mariupol shelling map

They claim they do not have any intention to capture Mariupol – their aim is remove the common border line with Ukraine in some other places so that the Ukrainian MRLS were not been able to shell residential areas in Donetsk and other cities in Donbass. Their aim is justifiable: the overall number of KIA in Donbass are 5038 civilians only. All of them have been killed by the Ukrainian Army.

So, the shelling of the 18th Battalion column and a residential area in Mariupol by the Ukrainian Army is either as its military mistake (miscalculation of its Intelligence), or as a mere provocation with the aim to disrupt a peace process and to enhance additional economic sanctions versus Russia.

Russian MFA has strongly criticized the shelling of Mariupol by the Ukrainian Army. The Russian MFA official representative Alexander Lukashevitch said that the Ukrainian authorities are de facto slowing down the proper investigation of the recent Mariupol case.

Videos containing recordings of Saturday’s GRAD strikes at Mariupol:

<iframe width=”420″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/PqflsD_Kpmc&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen>

(since 2.40)

Professor Vladimir Kozin  was directly engaged in NATO-related issues during his 40-years-long professional career in the Russian Foreign Ministry. He was one of the leading negotiators from the Russian side at the most of the Russia-US diplomatic and military talks on disarmament, strategic deterrence and other issues in 1990s. He is a professor and member of Russian Academy of Military Science.

Source:
http://orientalreview.org/2015/01/26/who-was-shelling-the-city-of-mariupol/

Donetsk Ministry of Defense briefing: Ukrainian National Guard shot 20 Ukrainian soldiers overnight

Posted on Fort Russ, January 27, 2015
Eduard Basurin (DPR) – Newsfront
Translated by Kristina Rus

DPR MOD Frontline Update

After a loss suffered on January 26, the enemy turned to offensive activities on separate fronts.

Fearing encirclement, Ukrainian forces are leaving the Debaltsevo ledge. On Donetsk front the enemy with the forces of the 25th airmobile brigade undertook unsuccessful attempts to attack Donetsk airport.

The attack has been repelled.

During the fighting militia burned 4 tanks and 4 BMD. The loss of live forces was up to 50 people killed.

On Debaltsevo front the enemy has unsuccessfully attempted to regain control over North Eastern part of Debaltsevo. Counter attack by NAF pushed UAF to its former positions.

On Mariupol front there were no active military operations.

Over the last 24 hours as a result of military operations total losses of security forces of Ukraine were: 21 tank, 14  BMP and BTR, 7 field artillery weapons, as well as up to 170 killed and wounded. 11 Ukrainian soldiers have surrendered.

I want to emphasize that repeated announcements by Kiev about large losses of NAF is a typical propaganda fake. In a 40 million Ukraine, as is well known, losses of a thousand people are easy to hide for the Kiev junta.

We have a lot fewer people. We all know each other, we are all acquainted. Therefore such losses, if we really had them would be impossible to hide. We really do have losses, in the last weeks we lost 62 fighters, who we said are good byes to.

However, the losses of Ukrainian forces for the same period are not comparable – more then 1,100 people. The bodies of most of the killed Ukrainians are laying in the fields for more then a week. No one from the commanders of Ukrainian forces is trying to take them out.

More then 70 Ukrainian soldiers have surrendered since January 9th.

We would like to bring to the attention of the world community and international organizations, the increasing shelling of our cities by the Ukrainian artillery, which leads to mass deaths among peaceful residents, including children.

The number of killed and wounded among the peaceful residents of Donetsk is in the hundreds.

Although for Poroshenko all of them are separatists.

Instead of objective and diligent investigation of these crimes with participation of representatives of  OSCE, Ukrainian authorities continue to engage in propaganda demagogue and hide their own war crimes.

As a result the number of victims among the peaceful population is growing.

Ukrainian troops are demoralized, which is shown by unprecedented incident, which occurred last night.

During overnight clashes a wounded soldier from 128th separate mountain-infantry brigade had surrendered, and talked during questioning about the facts of using “zagradotriads” [army police] from the territorial battalions against Ukrainian soldiers. As a result of shooting at Ukrainian soldiers head on from the positions of the National Guard, more then 20 people died on the spot, several dozen more were wounded. The rest of the soldiers of the 128th brigade ran away, according to him.

During today we recorded 45 violations.

Due to shelling of the central districts of Gorlovka, 2 people were killed immediately, and 6 wounded. Among them  – 2 children, 9 and 8 years old.

Today in Gorlovka, in the afternoon on Lenin Prospect, a driver (born in 1980) of a car was killed by shrapnel on the spot.

One person was killed in Donetsk, 2 wounded.

The losses of DPR army are: 3 killed, 12 wounded.

Also, I would like to point out that in Gorlovka during an attempt to put out fires, first responders were caught in shelling. They were unable to finish their job, and had to wait for about half an hour, and only after that they were able to live.

This is all I have for now.

Questions:

Are there any injured first responders and do you have any details about the shooting of a bus driver?

There were no injured among the first responders. Regarding the driver of a bus #25, he is in a hospital in stable-serious condition. No one else was injured, we were lucky that there was no one else on the bus.

Could you comment on the situation in Zeranovka. There was a video from militia online. We would like to find out who controls this village now?

The message that you saw online is true, this locality is under the control of DPR. This is South-West of Gorlovka.

There was information online in the morning that UAF is completely controlling Peski and Avdeevka, and that our guys retreated.

No, this is not true. Peski is a neutral zone. Not one party controls it entirely. Part of Peski is controlled by the militia, part – by UAF. We never announced that we controlled Avdeevka, so the announcement by the Ukrainian side that we had left – how could we leave it, if we were never there? Yes, we are on the outskirts of Avdeevka.

When will the road from Gorlovka to Donetsk be safe for civilians?

UAF artillery has 50 km range, so until it is pushed far beyond Gorlovka, we can not talk about safety.

Has Mariyinka come under the control of the militia?

No, not entirely. 40% is controlled by the militia, the rest of the territory doesn’t belong to anyone, is under clashes.

How is the situation in Elenovka?

After the capture of this locality nothing else happened. Artillery shelling does continue.

You said that UAF is trying to return the control of North-Eastern district of Debaltsevo, does it mean that they had lost control over it?

If you look at the map carefully, the so-called Debaltsevo ledge, we call it the Debaltsevo Tongue, from two sides – DPR and LPR – certain activities are taking place in order to allow us to encircle this formation. UAF is trying to use various methods to avoid it. One of the methods is to leave some of the positions, which it used to control. If someone is retreating, then someone else is taking it.

Which positions did they vacate, and was it occupied by the militia? 

I can not tell you everything, then it wouldn’t be interesting to come here tomorrow [laughter]

Have there been any new localities which were captured by DPR?

Azarianovka is completely under our control, this is what I can name. All the other localities I cannot name, because there are still clashes.

What are the hot spots?

Hot spots: Debaltsevo ledge is still under fighting. I know you are all waiting for the door to shut. For now it is not as easy to do, as we would like it to be. Here, in the area of Gorlovka highway. Krasny Partisan. There are other localities behind Krasny Partisan which have to be liberated, and taken under our control. Also those areas near the airport, and also those areas in the West, like Mariyinka. Besides this large town there are smaller localities.

Has UAF used aviation over the last 24 hours?

We have not recorded that.

What is the situation near Krasny Partisan? 

It would be nice if it was faster, but it is not. You have to understand, UAF is resisting. We ask them not to resist, but they are resisting [smiling]. You know these cases of shooting, we recorded them even before. The territorial battalions were created for the cities. And then they were sent here. They were supposed to serve only on the territory of their own city. In the summer, in the fall, when there were active military oiperations, when these qualdrons were created, they wanted to surrender in large quantities. And we fixated that they were shot. We always reported this. Now this repeated again. When this happens again they will put up resistance. We recorded that nationalist battalions and the army were shooting at each other, they had some kind of fighting between each other. It is very difficult to hide such facts. They have cell phones, yes their cellphones are taken away. But they will find a way to report to their friends and family, that they were shot, by their own. And we will help, you will help, this is why you are here. This is how we can shake up this situation. So that there are not just single cases, when a mother learns about her child, when he is captured here, but does not let him go in the first place. The more protests there are in Ukraine the fewer Ukrainian soldiers will die.

Did the militia shell the city of Svetlodar? Ukrainian soldiers report that there was shelling of a hospital of that city, with some injured. It’s near Debaltsevo, towards Artemovsk. 

You know, on one hand, Ukrainian military announces a lot of interesting things. On the other hand this is war. Nevertheless, all commanders know that shelling of populated areas were civilians reside is banned. I have nothing else to say about this. We are not there. This is only reported by Ukrainian journalists, there are no other journalists there, they are not allowed there

[Many Russian journalists are banned from Ukraine, and are subject to arrest and deportation. The media and TV channels are controlled by the oligarchs in power, such as Poroshenko and Kolomoisky]. 

Whether this happened or not we can find out only when we get there.

http://www.fortruss.blogspot.com/2015/01/donetsk-ministry-of-defense-briefing.html

Donetsk says over 30 civilians killed in Kiev airstrikes on Horlivka

From Sputnik News, January 19, 2015

Kiev deployed combat jets for the first time since last summer and hit populated areas of Horlivka with heavy bombs killing 30 civilians including children, a senior commander of the armed militia in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic said.

DONETSK, January 19 (Sputnik) — More than 30 civilians, including children, were killed on Sunday in the city of Horlivka in the Donbas region in a series of airstrikes carried out by Ukrainian combat jets, a senior commander of the armed militia in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) said Monday.”On Sunday afternoon, Kiev deployed combat jets for the first time since last summer, hitting populated areas of Gorlovka with heavy bombs,” said Eduard Basurin, deputy commander of DPR militia.

“As a result, more than 30 civilians were killed, including children,” Basurin said.

The DPR commander noted that as the SU-24 attack aircraft were dropping bombs from about 5,000 meters (more than 3 miles) above the ground, it is clear that Kiev forces were not trying to hit any specific military targets.

Earlier in the day,DPR stated that at least 200 people had been killed and injured in the past 24 hours as a result of fighting initiated by Kiev.DPR leader AlexanderZakharchenko blamed Kiev for breaching the ceasefire and called on the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) to force Ukrainian authorities to fulfill the Minsk agreements.The conflict in southeastern Ukraine erupted in mid-April, 2014, when Kiev launched a military operation to suppress independence supporters in Donetsk and Luhansk who refused to recognize the legitimacy of a new government that came to power following a February coup.

On September 5, 2014, the opposing sides reached a ceasefire agreement at a Contact Group meeting in Minsk, however, the clashes between the sides have continued.

According to the latest update by the World Health Organization (WHO), almost 5,000 people have lost their lives and nearly 10,500 have been wounded in Ukraine since the ceasefire between independence supporters and Kiev-led forces had been declared.

 

Source:
http://sputniknews.com/europe/20150119/1017089924.html