Putin believes US attack on Syria violates international law

From RT

April 7, 2017

President Putin “regards the strikes as aggression against a sovereign nation,” his spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, noting that the president believes the strikes were carried out “in violation of international law, and also under an invented pretext.”

Peskov also insisted that “the Syrian army doesn’t have chemical weapons,” saying this had been “observed and confirmed by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, a special UN unit.”

Putin sees the US missile strike on Syria as an attempt to distract attention from civilian casualties in Iraq, Peskov added.

“This step deals significant damage to US-Russian ties, which are already in a deplorable state,” Peskov said.

https://www.rt.com/news/383815-putin-us-syria-aggression/

Coverage of U.S. attack on Syria — RT

RT. com

US launches missile strike against Syria: RT special coverage

https://www.rt.com/on-air/383783-us-strikes-syria-coverage/

https://www.rt.com/news/383782-us-strikes-syria-tomahawaks/

https://www.rt.com/news/383785-us-missiles-syrian-army/

https://www.rt.com/news/383790-us-warship-tomahawks-syria-video/

https://www.rt.com/usa/383762-tillerson-assad-syria-statement/

Kiev launches major offensive against DPR (Biden’s final instructions?); heavy DPR losses, very major losses for Kiev; Poroshenko’s game.

From Fort Russ

January 31, 2017 –
By Eduard Popov for Fort Russ – translated by J. Arnoldski –
Since Fort Russ readers rather well know the situation prevailing in Donbass, I’ll take the liberty of refraining from regurgitating facts and details. Instead, I dedicate today’s commentary to two unfolding events in and around Donbass. I base my commentary on media sources, social networks in the DPR and Ukraine, and on insider information I receive from Donetsk – Dr. Eduard Popov
The military situation in the Donetsk People’s Republic
Battles have not quieted down since January 29th. The Ukrainian Armed Forces’ tactic of gradually seizing neutral territories (“creeping offensive”) appears to have highly infatuated Ukrainian officers and patriots in the rear and is now taking on a life of its own. The result has been that the Ukrainians have convinced themselves that Donbass forces are weak and therefore decided to undertake a massive offensive. This is a fatal mistake.
According to reports from sources in the DPR, the republic’s army has suffered heavy losses. Alexander Zhuchkovsky has reported dozens of killed. But the UAF and neo-Nazis’ losses are several times higher. Today, the DPR’s intelligence services intercepted and published a secret report by the ATO headquarters for President  Poroshenko. The total number of casualties among the UAF over the past two days of firefights is estimated at 78 dead and several dozen wounded. Let me draw your attention to the fact that we are talking about the bodies of Ukrainian soldiers that have been recovered and taken to the morgue in nearby and far-off cities. The number of bodies that weren’t recovered from the battlefield while under artillery fire, the number of bodies completely destroyed by the explosion of military vehicles (tanks, volley artillery, etc.), and the number of wounded still in hospitals – these figures remain unknown. The real figures of the irreversible losses of the UAF over the past two days of fighting are probably no less than 100 men.
As Zhuchkovsky and DPR fighters themselves have reported, the Ukrainians have been surprised by the stiff resistance put up by the republic’s forces. Hitherto, the DPR army had heartbreakingly refused to respond “eye for an eye” to the UAF’s provocative fire. On January 29th and 30th, however, Donbass’ artillery finally put in heart and soul and laid down a “whirlwind of fire” (Zhuchkovsky’s expression) on Ukrainian positions.
The general result: although the situation in the combat zone is complex and fraught with escalation and large losses, overall it is going well for the Donbass republics. 
Thus, political conflict in Ukraine moves to the fore. 
Poroshenko’s gamble 
As Ukraine’s military adventure fails, Poroshenko is starting to playing a diplomatic gamble. Poroshenko’s efforts on January 31st fit into this formula. First, he urgently interrupted his visit to Germany and meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel. Then he called to convene the Tripartite Commission (the “Normandy Four” minus Russia). The Ukrainian foreign ministry today issued a statement which routinely accused Russia of escalating the conflict in Donbass. Without a doubt, soon will follow a Ukrainian appeal to the UN and other international organizations.
But I’m not going to talk about the stupidity of such speculations. Even Ukrainian officers admit that the offensive was undertaken by the Ukrainian side. Russia does not benefit (especially not now) from an escalation of the situation in Donbass. The only beneficiary is the ruling Ukrainian regime. 
 
According to his press service’s official statement, Poroshenko was forced to urgently return to Ukraine to address the “humanitarian situation” in Avdeevka which, let us note, occurred as a result of none other than the Ukrainian army’s adventurous actions on Poroshenko’s orders. 
The situation in Avdeevka and the massive losses that the Ukrainian army is incurring nevertheless give the Ukrainian president an occasion to play the role of the victim and cry to the world (the West) to punish the offender (Russia). If the UAF had not met such tough resistance on its attack and if the offensive had gone deep into the republics of Donbass, then Poroshenko would simply conjure another formula justifying Ukraine and blaming Russia. To be more precise, such a formula has long since been hatched and is waiting its turn.
The main actor for whom this whole bloody spectacle is being played is US President Donald Trump. We’ve already repeatedly written for Fort Russ on how Poroshenko is attempting to provoke a war in Donbass in order to prevent normal dialogue between the US and Russia. Allow us to recall the content of one of our articles, in which my sources in the DPR’s military circles forewarned that they expect a massive UAF offensive just before or immediately after Trump’s inauguration. 
Poroshenko’s regime is practically at a stalemate on both the international and domestic political fronts. Before the new team of American diplomats appointed by Trump starts working and Trump’s new European policy principles swing into action, Poroshenko will try to win over the American president. His method? By literally producing the fait accompli of “pro-American” Ukraine (in reality, pro-liberal and “pro-democratic”) needing support in Donbass. The Americans call this trick “wag the dog.”
Donald Trump has barely had time to settle into the office of US President, yet his name has already started to bear fruit in Donbass. I believe that the consequences of this factor will be devastating – if not for Ukraine, then for the ruling Poroshenko regime. 

U.S. proxy attack on Russia embassy in Syria a dangerous sign

October 5, 2016 – Fort Russ News –
RIA Novosti – translated by J. Arnoldski –
In the UN Security Council, the American delegation blocked a Russian statement on the shelling of Russia’s embassy in Damascus. On Tuesday, Moscow proposed that the Security Council condemn militants’ attack on the embassy building, which was subjected to mortar fire. 
As RIA Novosti was told by Russia’s permanent representative to the UN, Moscow put forth for consideration at the Security Council a standard document which is usually adopted in the case of attacks on diplomatic missions.
The statement was met with dissatisfaction by the American delegation which tried to introduce “foreign elements” into it. 
“The British and Ukrainians clumsily played along with the Americans. This shows their flagrant disregard for the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations,” the permanent representative’s statement reads.
Russian diplomats reminded their colleagues that Moscow has always supported such statements concerning crimes against diplomatic missions.
Russia’ representatives concluded: “We have to admit that the moral scruples of some of our colleagues in the Security Council have seriously deteriorated.”
The embassy shelling incident took place on October 3rd. Militants fired 3 mortars at the building of the Russian diplomatic mission in Damascus, one of which exploded near the diplomats’ residential complex. 
According to the Russian foreign ministry, the shelling came from the suburbs of the Syrian capital controlled by militants of Jebat Fatah Al-Sham (formerly Jebat Al-Nusra”) and Falak ar-Rahman. 

 

The Russian foreign ministry has called the shelling of the embassy a “result of those who, like the US and some of its allies, provoke the continuation of the bloody conflict in Syria by flirting with militants and extremists of various stripes.” 

http://www.fort-russ.com/2016/10/russia-vs-us-war-in-syria-us-proxy.html

Intercepted calls – Proof of U.S. & ISIS coordination: Syrian MP goes public

From Fort Russ

September 26th, 2016 – Fort Russ News –
– Sputnik Arabic and Al Mayadeen – translated by Marwa Osman –
Speaker of the People’s council of Syria, Hadiya Abbas, stated publicly that the Syrian Arab army intercepted calls between the US and Daesh just before the US raids against the SAA in Mount Altherdh in Deir Ezzor. The Syrian government said in related reports that it will make these intercepted calls public.
Syrian foreign minister, Walid Muallem, stated that the US air strikes on Syrian military positions in the Mount Altherdh in DeirEzzor, were not accidental fast strikes, on the contrary they came in coordination with “Daesh”, who immediately invaded the military site command of Deir ez-Zor Airport after the airstrike. Muallem said in an interview with Al Mayadeen Channel that the US air strikes on Syrian military positions in the Mount Altherdh came in direct coordination with the “Daesh” pointing out that they were not even fast strikes, rather they lasted for 50 minutes.
According to Al Muallem: “American Spy drones flew in the airspace of Deir ez-Zor two days before the US raid on the Syrian army positions” and he added that “what confirms that the US deliberately hit the SAA was that the military base had been there in Mount Altherdh for the past two years which debunks the US claim that it was an accident.”

U.S. bombed Syrian troops for nearly one hour, it was not a “mistake”, it was “intentional”: Bashar al-Assad

Global Research, September 22, 2016
Press TV 22 September 2016

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has said that US airstrikes on Syrian troops on Saturday were “intentional” and lasted for nearly one hour.

In an interview with the Associated Press conducted Wednesday, Assad said the attack targeted a “huge” area constituting of many hills, “so it was definitely intentional, not unintentional as they claimed.”

The US Central Command has said it may have unintentionally struck the Syrian airbase in Dayr al-Zawr while carrying out a raid against Daesh and that the strikes were stopped in less than five minutes when Russia called the US to halt it.

Daesh militants briefly overran government positions in the area until they were beaten back.

“How could they (Daesh) know that the Americans are going to attack that position in order to gather their militants to attack right away and to capture it one hour after the strike?” Assad asked.

“It wasn’t an accident by one airplane… It was four airplanes that kept attacking the position of the Syrian troops for nearly one hour, or a little bit more than one hour,” he said.

“You don’t commit a mistake for more than one hour,” Assad said in the interview.

US behind collapse of ceasefire

Assad also blamed the US for the collapse of a ceasefire deal brokered with Russia.

The strikes contributed to the collapse of the truce and cast serious doubt on chances for implementing an unprecedented US-Russian agreement to jointly target Daesh.

Assad said Washington “doesn’t have the will” to join the fight against Daesh, which the US, Turkey and their allies have cited as the reason for their military intervention in Syria.

Syrians who fled the country could return within a few months if the US, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Qatar stopped backing militants, he added.

Assad said the war, now in its sixth year, is likely to “drag on” because of what he said was continued external support for Takfiri terrorists and numerous militant groups.

“When you talk about it as part of a global conflict and a regional conflict, when you have many external factors that you don’t control, it’s going to drag on.”

‘US lies’ about aid convoy attack

Assad also rejected accusations that Syrian or Russian planes struck an aid convoy in Aleppo and denied that his troops were preventing food from entering the militant-held part of the city.

“If there’s really a siege around the city of Aleppo, people would have been dead by now,” Assad said, asking how militants were able to smuggle in arms but apparently not food or medicine.

The attack on the aid convoy outside Aleppo took place Monday night, hitting a warehouse as aid workers unloaded cargo and triggering huge explosions.

US officials have oscillated between blaming the Syrian government and the Russian military for the attack. At one point, they have described a sustained barrage that included barrel bombs.

One Thursday, however, the AP quoted an unnamed “senior US administration official” who claimed a Russian-piloted aircraft carried out the strike.

Assad dismissed the claims, saying whatever American officials say “has no credibility” and is “just lies.”

Russia has called for an independent investigation into the attack and has published a footage from a drone which apparently shows a militant vehicle towing a mortar alongside the aid convoy.

On Wednesday, Russia’s Defense Ministry said an armed US drone was in the vicinity of the humanitarian aid convoy that was hit by the airstrike.

War ‘savage’

Assad also brushed aside what is often described as eyewitness accounts to accuse the Syrian army, while acknowledging the war had been “savage”.

“Those witnesses only appear when there’s an accusation against the Syrian army or the Russian (army), but when the terrorists commit a crime or massacre or anything, you don’t see any witnesses.”

http://www.globalresearch.ca/us-bombed-syrian-troops-for-nearly-one-hour-it-was-not-a-mistake-it-was-intentional-bashar-al-assad/5547213

Deserter from Kiev forces tells of NATO-guided preparations for attack on Lugansk

From Fort Russ

Photo originally from Ukraine Defense Ministry [“Mil.gov.ua”]

Alexei GROMOV, in Riafan, July 14, 2016
Translated from Russian by Tom Winter July 17, 2016

A draftee fled the APU positions swam across the North Donetsk River, that separates the militia units of the LNR and the APU, and spoke about massive preparations for a Kiev attack in the direction of Lugansk.

The soldier, whose name the source did not disclose, reported that around the perimeter of the front along the North Donets River, there are hundreds of mercenaries in the uniform of the APU. Most of the mercenaries are Poles, almost a thousand of them, they are armed to NATO standards and communicating in English.

Arab mercenaries are housed near the village of Stanica Lugansk. These men are in non-standard issue uniforms with Arabic insignia.

According to the Ukrainian draftee, there are in fact not many Ukrainian soldiers on the front lines.

“Our lads, max one-third. The rest are collected from around the world, there are Chechens, Arabs, Turks, Poles. All are prepared to act, they talk of nothing else but “when we go  and give it to the Russians and separatists.”

But the leaders don’t trust us; the mercenaries will go forth. I left because I did not want to participate in this foolishness. Why should I help the Poles to kill the Ukrainians,” said the soldier.

Also, the defector reported on the redeployment of military equipment to the front line. According to him, there are more than one hundred tanks and two hundred pieces of artillery, in place on the north Donetsk River, and helicopter gunships.

The soldier says that the groundwork for assault was extremely well prepared.

“All the past mistakes were taken into account, everything is getting done at a high level; advisers from NATO are at work in every unit,” he told the soldiers.

http://www.fort-russ.com/2016/07/deserter-from-kiev-forces-tells-of-nato.html